Greetings virtual travelers! “Stay home and hunker down” are not words that I, as a travel professional and world traveler myself, ever thought I would give as advice. However, with the current COVID-19 situation and the need to protect ourselves and others in our community, I’m doing just that.
While I am actively advising people to NOT travel under the current circumstances, I feel very strongly that we will all get through this together and the world will once again open its arms to receive curious visitors. Until then, it’s mentally healthy to dream about your next vacation or adventure. Since we are staying home, what better way to spend a couple of hours with your family than watching together, dreaming together and getting inspiration for your next trip?
Movies With a View
Take a look at the list of movies below. Which ones have you seen or have been on your list to catch?
- Mamma Mia (2008) & Mamma Mia: Here we go again (2018) – based on the wildly successful Broadway musical with a score from ABBA, this story tracks the lovely story of Donna and her daughter Sophie as they both grow and learn from the past. You will want to book a trip to Greece stat!
- P.S., I Love You (2007) – A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life. Ireland is the star!
- Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) – Based on the book by Frances Mayes, the film is about a recently divorced writer who buys a villa in Tuscany on a whim, hoping it will lead to a change in her life. The beauty of Cortona and the Italian people are featured.
- Letters to Juliet (2010) – traveling to Verona Italy with her busy fiancé, a young American journalist gets involved in an adventure based on a love letter a tourist left at the monument to Romeo & Juliet’s unrequited love.
- The Way (2010) – An American father takes the journey on the Camino de Santiago to understand what happened with his son, who died while attempting the journey himself. The beauty of France and Spain is prominently featured.
- Eat, Pray, Love (2010) – A married woman realizes how unhappy her marriage is, and that her life needs to go in a different direction. After a painful divorce, she takes off on a round-the-world journey to “find herself” in Italy, India & Bali.
- National Lampoon’s European Vacation (1985) Just for giggles, follow the Griswold family through their comedic adventures in France, Italy & Germany. Because we all need a laugh right now!
And especially for the kids (but parents will like these too):
- Brave (Disney) – A great adventure story based in Scotland that also teaches girls that they don’t need that handsome prince to be awesome.
- Moana (Disney) – The young daughter of the village chief discovers her calling and purpose by rescuing her Hawaiian island from an angry goddess, with the entertaining help of the demigod Maui.
- Ratatouille (Disney) – In Paris, a rat named Remy longs to become a French chef. He befriends a young restaurant worker, Linguini, and “mentors” his human friend in the ways of preparing fine cuisine.
- The Sound of Music – Need I say more? The adventures of the Von Trapp family and their nanny, Maria, set in pre-WW II Austria. A classic!
- Madeline: Lost in Paris – A young schoolgirl in Paris embarks on many misadventures that cause her fellow students and teachers many headaches. Based on the book series.
So, pop some popcorn and cozy up on the couch together and start dreaming; when the world calms down and you are ready to take off again, I am here to make it effortless for you.
Hidden Gem Tip: In case you missed it, last week’s newsletter had a link to an incredible resource for “armchair traveling” called Google Arts and Culture. I also highlight some amazing locations you can experience virtually: https://hiddengemtravelconsulting.com/blog/
Wishing you continued good health,